Thursday, April 16, 2015

Frida Kahlo in Zambia

I wish I had never gone to Africa. It was too much trouble. Things did not work out the way I expected. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But this was 18 years ago and memory becomes softer, so this might be a good time to talk.

In February of 1997 I had lunch with Frida Kahlo in Lusaka, which is the principle city in Zambia, or it was a woman who appeared to be Frida Kahlo. I cannot say for certain. It was a hot day and I was tired and susceptible to outlandish claims and miraculous appearances.

But I am very certain this was not a dream. We had fried plantains and sadza and each had a glass of sour milk. Months later she sent me this postcard.....someone mailed it to me....after a while you just stop asking questions......it would be like reading the Heart of Darkness and asking if it really happened.

No comments: