Monday, May 06, 2019

Will the Meek Inherit the Earth?


By Fred Owens

Will the Meek Inherit the Earth? No, the Scalias will. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia may have left this earth, but his progeny remain and they are abundant. He had nine children and 33 grandchildren. In contrast, although it would be wrong to describe these three women as being meek, the three female Supreme Court Justices have, in total, two children and two grand children, all belonging to RBG,  Justices Kagan and Sotomayor having none.

This is a question I have posed to progressive people -- If Save the Earth People have small families and Rule the Earth People have large families, which side will prevail in the long run? The Scalias, of course.

So I always encourage my friends of child-bearing age to have children, because I want our side to be abundant. Let me say first that it is very wrong to shame people who choose not to have children, and equally wrong to shame people who have a lot of children. I am only talking about situations where someone says they might have children when the time is right, and my response is Go for It. I believe we should have strong and fully supportive prenatal care for would-be parents of any income level. We should have full and complete reproductive choices. We should have generous and lengthy parental leave. Under those good circumstances, people will have as many children as they want, and when you get right down to it, the number doesn't count, but the quality of care does. So strictly speaking I don't believe in population control. This sounds idealistic, and it is, but the number of human beings on this planet doesn't matter, what only matters is the quality of human love, love for each other and love for the things of this earth.

We can divide ourselves into two camps -- Save the Earth and Rule the Earth. I grew up in a Rule the Earth culture -- that the earth was ours to master and control and build on and modify and explore. But I found that to be insufficient so I changed to Save the Earth, and feared for the future of the planet, and drastically reduced my carbon footprint and supported all things renewable and sustainable.

But that didn't work either. I worked very hard on various organic farms but I was disappointed in the results -- we just did not produce very much food and my sustainable organic vision had such a small population. Like the Skagit Valley where I used to live could be a paradise with only 10,000 people living there. We would need to kill the extra 100,000 who do actually live there, or else convince them to move back to California.

Nope, that effort at Saving the Earth didn't work, and brought me some renewed respect for Rule the Earth because when it comes to such critical things as the food supply, conventional agri-business sure kicks out a lot of groceries. I know people say that can't last, but it has lasted all my life and I got tired of waiting for it to collapse.

So, as of today, I would say that I love nature, but I'm willing to give it a shove now and then.

Current Affairs. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi is losing her nerve, or else being wisely cautious. Maybe Trump has got her spooked, or maybe she is just not showing her hand. She does not favor impeachment, not yet. She may or may not want to cite AG Barr for contempt of Congress. She might want Mueller to come to the House and testify over Trump's objections. Or not.

Sure, it's easy for Sanders and AOC to criticize her decisions, but how would you like to have her job? She has to deal with Trump every day and for the next two years. Could someone else do a better job? I think not. I support Speaker Pelosi.

Family Reunion on the Occasion of My Sister Carolyn's 75th Birthday. We had a fine family reunion and weekend party at my sister's bungalow and backyard in Venice by the Beach, which is part of Los Angeles. We had a banquet dinner for 24 relatives and friends at a festive Italian restaurant. The wait staff sang Happy Birthday in Italian. My daughter Eva and her wife Lara brought my grandson Walter down from Seattle for the occasion. I don't write about grandchildren because I would just start to gush and boast, and then I would have to listen to other people gush and boast about their grandchildren and then hear the suffering silence of people my age who do not have grands, so I just say I enjoyed playing with the little tyke.

I do have a bevy of beautiful nieces -- Aisha and Jordana, Prima and Zana, Liza and Rosie, all present except for Laura who lives in Monaco in France. The nieces were lively and funny and serious and strong and helpful and steady  -- all good. My son Eugene was there as was my brother Tom and my sister Katy. My niece Jordana, about to turn 21, was brave enough to bring her boyfriend Ron. We tried to scare him, but it was a bluff and he knew it. Ron is a fine young man and I like him quite a bit.

Twenty-four people, all Democrats. Funny how that worked out.









--
Fred Owens
cell: 360-739-0214

My gardening blog is  Fred Owens
My writing blog is Frog Hospital


No comments: