Monday, August 12, 2019

What is ADWAP?


What is ADWAP?

By Fred Owens

I am an American. Yo soy Americano. I celebrate my right to speak Spanish badly. I support Joe Biden because he does not correct my speech. Biden is tone deaf, as they say. I am too. I like Harriet Tubman on the $20. I support LGBT but they added a Q and I got confused. I do not support taking down any statues of anybody. I admire Christopher Columbus but I am losing that debate. I remember when McGovern ran against Nixon in 1972. I don't want that to happen again.

The minimum wage needs to be $15 per hour, all across the nation. College doesn't need to be free, but it can be a whole lot cheaper. Student loan debt doesn't need to be cancelled, but it can be negotiated to a much lower number. Bullet trains are never going to happen in this country -- Americans love cars too much. New transportation solutions need to keep that in mind. Reparations are a bad idea  -- they are too complicated -- although the discussion might continue and vastly expanded to a complete list of historical grievances. The grievances are real, and you can put a dollar amount on them too. But I see a room full of earnest people shouting at each other endlessly. No, not a good idea.

My Congressman is Salud Carbajal, representing the 24th district covering Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. If AOC was middle-aged, mild-mannered, pudgy and male, it would be him. Salud immigrated from Mexico as a child, grew up in Santa Barbara, went to university and then served in the Marines. He is 55. He makes friends easily. He manages to get things done without making a lot of noise. That's why I like him. He recently joined the cohort demanding Trump's impeachment.... but he thought about it first, then he surveyed his constituents on this topic, then he made his decision to support impeachment. That's his style. I support his re-election and I expect to meet him in person fairly soon.

What is ADWAP? As I said, I support Joe Biden,  but the whole field of 20 candidates has some strong contenders. So I say ADWAP, Any Democrat  With A Pulse. My second choice is Kamala Harris, the Senator from California. She is 55, a perfect age for becoming President. She needs to become bigger. What I mean is that being President is a very big job, and I am looking for the candidate who is most capable of personal growth. I saw her on the last debate and she spoke like a prosecutor, because she was California State Attorney for eight years and prosecuted many criminals. This is a valuable experience and if she gets the nomination she will prosecute Trump, at least symbolically. But that's not enough. Kamala needs to become more than a prosecutor, she needs to grow and become many things. She needs to speak to and speak for all 300 million Americans. That's a lot to ask, but Obama did it, and she can too, I hope.

The other candidates have merit, even Marianne Williamson, the self-help guru. Even Marianne would make a better President than the one we have now. ADWAP.

I expect to devote a good deal of my time on this, for the next 14 months, It's good to get started early and lay the groundwork for a successful campaign. We need to win in 2020. We need a new President.

Family News. My daughter Eva is expecting a baby any day now. She seems awfully calm about this, has that smile. She and her wife Lara have a two-year-old boy already, so this will make two children and they will be busy enough. Laurie and I are flying to Seattle in early October to see the new little guy and to visit their lovely home in Ballard. While we are up there, we expect to visit Winthrop for three days. I called Kevin Sunrise in LaConner and he gave us tips on cool things to do in Winthrop. He suggested stopping at Rainy Pass and taking the short hike to Rainy Lake. The autumn foliage could be wonderful.

Funding. I need $500 a month to do this political work. With that additional income I can let go of my professional gardening  work and put more time into the campaign. I will be very effective. So I'm asking. Contact me for more information.

thank you,

Fred

--
Fred Owens
cell: 360-739-0214

My gardening blog is  Fred Owens
My writing blog is Frog Hospital


No comments: